The s'mores. This is Rik's job. He has a careful and precise procedure of placing two pieces of chocolate on two graham crackers and then one marshmallow microwaved to perfection. Unfortunately, they were far from perfection. I wasn't there for the first bite, but I was told "Don't eat them!" The consensus was that they had been overcooked, because the marshmallows turned crispier as it was chewed and the s'mores had a funny smell. So, he tried again. They looked perfect, but as we lifted them to our mouths, we smelt a chemically smell. Was it the marshmallows? The graham crackers? I checked the expiration date on the graham cracker box. March 2011. Nine months old. Let this be a lesson to all - do NOT eat expired graham crackers, because they are NASTY. Poor marshmallows, getting all the blame.
Here is the carnage from the second batch. We picked the marshmallows and chocolate off the crackers. No point in letting good sugar and deliciousness go to waste!
Dad popped to the store for some fresh crackers and extra milk. Batch number three was perfect. Om nom nom nom, let me tell you. Mom will never live this down, and will also never forget to check the expiration on the s'mores ingredients.